Daily Archives: January 3, 2013

You are browsing the site archives by date.

Installing Dragon Naturally Speaking 12 Does Not Work With WINE 1.5.20

NOTE: This is NOT a how-to.  This was an effort to document the problems I ran into during installation.  This blog post did not end in a successful installation of Dragon Naturally Speaking 12 in WINE 1.5.20.

This post, like my previous one, also started as a How-to, until it didn’t work…  I did eventually get Dragon Naturally Speaking working, and that post will be coming shortly.  This post does not have instructions which work, but I will publish it anyway in the hopes that someone will find it on Google, and something I’ve written will be useful.

My Installation Experiences

After failing to get Dragon Naturally Speaking 12 working on Ubuntu 10.04, I decided to try it in Ubuntu 12.04 where I would have access to a more recent version of WINE.  I decided to grab the latest version of WINE from the PPA.

Install WINE 1.5 from the PPA

Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 (Winetricks)

I was asked to download a file from Mediafire and put it in a location. Follow all on-screen instructions.

Dragon - 3 - Dotnet Error

The .NET Framework installer failed and produced error code HRESULT 0x80070643.  I found this bug report which led me to these other Winetricks.

When installing the other Winetricks, pay attention to their instructions, as some of them will have you download and run other scripts.  This is supposed to satisfy the missing .NET Framework requirements.

Create a 32-bit WINE Prefix As described from this thread, I followed these steps.

Run Dragon Naturally Speaking Installer

Dragon - 1 - Install Starting

Dragon - 2 - License Agreement

 

I still got an error when executing the MSI installer…